The European Union and the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization enjoy a long-lasting partnership, underpinned by the EU’s political commitment to promote the universalization and the entry into force of the CTBT. The extra-budgetary support received over the past ten years from the European Union averages almost 30 mio EUR. Under specific focus has been the EU staunch support to the CTBTO work on engaging the next generation of experts through the CTBTO Youth Group, which bring together over 1200 young people from over 115 countries to advance with the EU imperative of strengthening international cooperation.
The EU-CTBTO panel will examine how the cooperation between the EU and the CTBTO has contributed to the CTBTO efforts to engage youth in amplifying the efforts to advance the CTBT entry into force, strengthen their capacities in the nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament spheres and move a step closer to the EU’s commitment of a world without nuclear weapons. It will also discuss the main requests and suggestions from youth to policy makers on advancing the CTBT.
Moderator: Ms Maria Chepurina (CTBTO Preparatory Commission, Vienna, Austria)
• Mr. Lassina Zerbo, Executive Secretary, CTBTO
• Mr. Stephan Klement, Ambassador and Head of the EU delegation in Vienna and Permanent Representative to the Vienna International Organizations
• Ms. Leena Al-Hadid, Ambassador of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan to the Vienna based International Organizations and CTBTO
• Ms. Marjolijn Van Deelen, EU Special Envoy on Non-Proliferation and Disarmament
• Ms. Yeseul Woo, CTBTO Youth Group
• Mr. Alan Juarez, CTBTO Youth Group